Top Five Wednesday is a Goodreads group that each Wednesday shares lists in response to a different topic. The topic this week is “summer reads.” As we are coming into winter here in the Southern Hemisphere, I will be sharing my top 5 winter reads!
Books that scream ‘winter’ to me have some common features:
- Are set in Scandinavia, Alaska, or any remote island
- Isolation is a major theme
- Have only a few mysterious characters and a narrative limited to only a few locations
- Have a dark, moody and claustrophobic atmosphere
- Are heavily character-focused, with a plot that may be slow paced but with tension and anticipation
- Rain, darkness, wind, snow
You will find those key words frequently in my five book recommendations!
So it’s time to get cozy, grab your blanket, a mug of hot chocolate and settle in with a good book!
Marjane Satrapi grew up in Tehran during the Islamic Revolution. Her parents were constantly worried for her safety, due to her free spirit, her tendency to say what…
Everything Love Is is a wonderful book; a deep and thoughtful exploration of love and loss, family, home, and what it means to take a risk and…